Select Bailey Miscellany



Here are some Bailey stories and accounts over the years:

Baillies and Balliols


In the account of the Baillies of Lamington inserted in the appendix to Nisbet’s Heraldry, it was stated that Alexander Baillie of Castlecarry, a learned antiquarian, was of the opinion that the family of Lamington was a branch of the illustrious house of the Balliols who were lords of Galloway and kings of Scotland.  The connection was claimed through an uncle of King John Balliol named Sir Alexander Balliol of Cavers.  He was great chamberlain of Scotland in the reign of his nephew in 1292. 

In the list of captives taken with King David II at the battle of Durham in 1346 was William Baillie, the first time that the name was found in written form.  After his release William Baillie was knighted by the king in 1357 and granted a charter in 1368 for the barony of Lamington. 

However, no linkage between the Balliols and Baillies has ever really been established.



John Bailey of Cricklade, Wiltshire

In February 1409 the sheriff of Wiltshire was ordered to replace John Bailey as the verderer or guardian of Bradon forest, located near to Cricklade, on the ground that he was insufficiently qualified for the office.  But he continued to hold the position and apparently was still doing so at the time of his death in 1436.  He was in 1427 MP for Cricklade.



John Bayley and Wellington College


John Bayley, the son of a Lancashire mine worker, began his career as a pupil teacher in Cheshire and, despite his own lack of formal qualifications, gained a national reputation as an educationalist.   He started Wellington College in Wellington, Shropshire as an enterprise which would combine elements of the council board school with private sector 'refinements.' 

When Wellington College opened for business in March 1880 it did so with just five pupils, all of whom were educated in Bayley's own semi-detached home on Albert Road and a rented property next door.  Bayley's creation met with immediate success and the unique ethos of today's school, which became Wrekin College in 1921, owes much to its founder's vision.  

John Bayley was knighted for his educational work and his name lives on in Wellington.   In 1920 he made a gift of a large timber building to the local ex-servicemen of the 1914-18 War.  The place is now known as the Sir John Bayley Social Club
.


Early Baileys in Virginia

Among the early Baileys in Virginia were four William Baileys recorded (although three may have been the same William Bailey) and one Nicholas Bailey: 

  • William Bayley, gentleman, who came to Virginia with the ill-fated colonists of 1608.  He apparently went back to England but returned in 1617.  
  • William Bayly, who came to Virginia on the George in 1617 and was living in 1624 in West Shirley hundred where he left issue by his wife Mary of a son named Thomas who made his home in Prince George county.  
  • William Bailey, who came to Virginia on the Prosperous in 1620 and was followed soon afterwards by his wife Mary and son Thomas (probably the same as the preceding family).  This William died sometime in the early 1630’s.  
  • and Nicholas Bailey, a brother of the foregoing William of 1620, who came to Virginia on the Jonathan in the same year and was followed in 1621 by his wife Amy.  
Meanwhile another William Bailey, a bricklayer from Northamptonshire, had arrived in the colony with his wife on the Bona Nova in 1619.  However, he was killed by Indians three years later


Bailys of Pennsylvania

Joel Bayl(e)y or Baily, a Quaker from Westbrook in Wiltshire, came to Chester county, Pennsylvania in 1682. He and his brother Daniel were – thanks to William Penn – owners of much land in Pennsylvania, although Daniel never did make it to America to claim his share. 

Joel held many public offices in Chester county. He had married Ann Short and had issue by her Mary, Ann, Daniel, Isaac, Joel, Thomas, John, and Josiah Baily. Most of the descendants of this line have used the Baily spelling of the name.



Timothy Bailey and Bailey's Island

Either Timothy Bailey or his wife Hannah was said to have purchased Bailey’s Island off Maine in 1750 for “one pound of tobacco and a gallon of rum.”  They moved there that year with their children from their home in Hanover, Massachusetts.  

They were in danger there at the time of the Indian wars.  Following the Means massacre, the garrison at the upper end of Short Point on Bailey's Island, was built to protect the people on the island from the Indians.   In 1753 Timothy was appointed the Deacon of the Congregational Church at Harpswell.  

It was said that Timothy was despised by the local Indian tribe. The Abanaki set him out to sea without oars.  He came ashore in Wiscasset, which was where he was to spend the remainder of his days.





Return to Top of Page
Return to Bailey Main Page